Friday, January 4, 2008

History Melting Ice and Globe trotting!

I love love our new History curriculum. Its a little simplistic for my dd as she already knows her Geography pretty well but its fun! We liked our first lesson today! I'm slowly selling myself on next year's curriculum, I think I have Science and History at least lined up but give me a few more lessons on the History before I commit! :)

Dh roached dd's computer the other day so she got a new one via courier today - he actually paid for same day shipping!! (he doesn't do that for me! he musta felt bad!!) So the computer arrived a few minutes before we walked out the door for lunch with my dear friend. When we got back I decided it was time to go back to school so we finished up yesterday's science lesson which discussed states of matter - specifically changing solids to liquids. Watching melting ice! It was a quick follow up but it was good to get back into the swing of things.

For history, which was actually Geography today, we pulled out our globe. We had to find various continents and then match animals from each continent with their home. Pretty simple really but just confirmed to me that dd knows what she is doing so far! LOL! She is getting used to the idea of narration and it was neat to see her excited about a new assignment!

When school was over (we only did 2 subjects today - full swing next week,) daddy came home and needed to upgrade his computer (I now have the slowest one in the house! but I digress! LOL!) Anyway, while he was upgrading I showed her how to work her knitting spool. She is thrilled with it. She has a full ball of purple (the only colour) Caron Simply Soft yarn to play with. I wonder what she will come up with. She has it down pat... now if she could remember to port her ball with her when she walks around the house knitting! (ah well made serious old daddy laugh! LOL!

Oh and in case you are wondering, yes she took it to bed with her to work on for an hour before coming down for her goldfish!

On an interesting note, she got a book today from our lunch date and good friend. It seems geared toward older girls (think tweens and teens) but there is a bunch of fun stuff in there and I think we'll have a lot of fun with it... There is one for boys too which I will order a little later just because it has more mechanical stuff in it... and we wouldn't want to be gender specific. But like I said a lot of fun! :) You'll probably see postings here eventually. She also got a Cranium game (with frogs on it - oh Frog Princess.) We haven't figured it out yet because the Littlest pitched a fit when we were learning.

During M's lessons today though Little S played with her peoples... we were doing animals so she insisted we had to gather up all the animals andput them in a bowl so she could play with them on the hearth... when we pulled out the globe she had to be right in there... thank goodness a second blow up globe is coming!

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

My P liked the "boy" book better...claims she already "knows" how to be a girl-lol.;-)
We had our out from the library to decide if I should buy as it is a bit "old" for her yet.