Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Preschool Begins.

While I totally believe that unschooling is the way to go in the early years, I also know that with S I need to include a few different things to let her have a feel of the things the world has to offer. I'm a totally an unorganized unstructured person, and so we do things as they work for us.

Monday - we started with Name recognition! So S is learning what her name looks like in print, ALL CAPS right now and eventually when she starts to see it and know it we'll convert to Cap with lower case! We also worked on how to hold a pen, in a none-pressured way. She is a fist holder, so I'm trying to get her to look a little more comfortable with the pen - so we're working with FAT glitter markers from Laurentian

Tuesday - we began Calendar activities. Where I'm introducing the days of the Month, day (as in weekday name) and number. Because it was spur of the moment, my numbers are just squares of paper stuck on to a $5 calendar from Staples (a few years ago!) I'm hoping to get a pocket thingy so that we can have more fun with it, but we'll run with what we've got today!

Wednesday - I made both girls Finger painting bags, similar to the Crayola Mess free Easel thing -- both of them spent a couple hours with these little thingies and they were simple to make costing less than a couple dollars

S is also getting a kick out of the tepee (mentioned below!)

So things are underway and I'm introducing one or two new things each day and including a reasonable amount of reading time. Tomorrow I'm hoping to add shaving cream activities to our list but right now I need some good cookie trays in good shape to work with! LOL!

So there you have it - that's what we're up to this week!

No comments: