Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ragweed

100 Species of Plant Challenge

Since I apparently can't tolerate contact with this darling plant (currently suffering near bronchitis because of it!), I figured maybe I should consider borrowing a photo off the internet instead of trying to go back and photograph the thing! (so this image was borrowed from Wiki)

Name: Ragweed

Things I already knew: It's Perennial. Its pollen produces severe and widespread allergies. I am allergic.

Things I recently learned: It can be a annual, perennial or a shrub. It grows on a taproot, or a creeping Rhizome. It can grow over 5 feet tall. I'm very very Allergic! :(

I also learned that during Ragweed season those with severe allergies to this plant can often be sensitive to other members of it's family, including sunflower seeds, chamomile, cantaloupe and Bananas.

You might find this article interesting. Its definitely worth noting!

Since discovering what this plant was on our recent walk, I've been totally obsessed with it. It sad to me that I had NO IDEA what Ragweed looked like. But now I know what it looks like, feels like and does to my poor respiratory tract, I guess I shall never forget this lesson!

1 comment:

mavibu said...

Could this be what's turned my girls' noses into snot waterfalls??? It gets me only every few years, thank goodness. Have you been following the advice you got on CHENGA for treating your repiratory issues? Feel better!