Friday, October 3, 2008

A Day of Sewing

We've been really lax on working on Brownie Try Its this year. M hasn't had an interest and I'm trying to stand back and let her take more of a lead! We're doing an award ceremony in December. As of today M had earned 5 Try-its.... when I told her this she promptly announced that she wanted to get 16 Try Its at the award Ceremony - so I told her to get working.

Today's work was around the Girl Scout - Virginia Skyline Council's "Sewing" Try it. We've been learning to sew periodically for months now. She keeps telling me ....

"Mum, I want to sew" (2 minutes to lunch time.)
"Mum, I want to sew" (5 minutes til we leave for class.)
"Mum, I want to sew" (15 minutes to bed time.)

So today I gathered up my stuff, including Sewing safety rules, pulled up the GSVSC's requirements (which we got approval for in July) and started to work. We worked on hand sewing... she learned whipstitch and running stitch and she is working on a little jacket for her webkinz poodle. She is very pleased.

Inevitably the little one decided that she too needed to learn to sew. I was dreading those words! LOL! Years ago I had bought M a box of lacing cards - M never really got into them, or we just didn't have time and she lacked the patience. Shockingly S, has the patience, coordination and skill to do it all at 2.5 yrs old. Is this the same kid who can't do anything without running around the house 1/2 a dozen times.

I ended up printing ghost image off the internet onto card stock, gluing to pieces of card stock together and using the laces from the box for S to play with.... and OMG she ran with it. M got into the actual lacing cards and perfected her whipstitch technique there, before continuing with her jacket project.

All in all it was a good Home Ec kind of day. M is pleased with her doings and completed her Sewing Try It and S has returned to running madly around the house.

1 comment:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Sewing projects in your house, too, huh? I wanted to stop in and thank you for your comments on my blog and for sharing your perspective on adoption. I hope to get to know you better--I love my blog friends who live in my computer! :-)