Monday, January 11, 2016

Ancient History Unit - Grade 1

Many Classical Homeschool History curricula suggest doing History in 4 year cycles starting with Ancient History, and continuing through Middle Ages, Early Modern and Modern & Today.  I did this with Froggy, but Ketchup wasn't interested in History so much and definitely very structured materials weren't going to work with her so we opted for a more loose Social studies program and she might tag along with Giraffe as we work through the times.

The idea is to teach History from the beginning and follow through chronologically and repeat it more in depth each time.  Since we are homeschooling a year at a time, I'm not sure if we will follow through on the suggested cycle or if we will wander off in different directions -- ha, just fair warning, as we tend to follow interests as we can.

So for History this year we hope to cycle most of the way through the Ancients level and to do that we will follow History Odyssey: Ancients Level 1 by Pandia Press.  I'm also using Usborne: Ancient World by Fiona Chandler.  I also have an older version of the The Story of the World: Ancient Times by Susan Wise Bauer for activities and maybe some aditional reading.
  • Archaeology
  • Stone Age Cave Dwellers
  • (3)
  • (4)
  • (5)
  • (6)
  • (7)
  • (8)
  • (9)
  • (10)
  • (11)
  • (12)
  • (13)
  • (14)
  • (15)
  • (16)
  • (17)
  • (18)
  • (19)
  • (20)
  • (21)
  • (22)
  • (23)
  • .
Not sure how far we'll get since we are jumping into this in mid January, but I'll post as best I can and hopefully I'll make it back and update the link to each of the parts.  In case I don’t get back to update just keep reading, they're sure to show up!

Also, I'd like to thank BlueHouseSchool for the jumping off points.  I used a lot of the suggestions she made when working with her daughter - plus what was available to me locally to make it fun for Giraffe.  All together, this was a pretty low budget unit, which provided a ton of entertainment.

Hoping to make History a major part of our Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

No comments: